Experienced Felony & Misdemeanor Criminal Defense Lawyers in the Virginia Beach, VA Area
Providing you with comprehensive advice and guidance in any criminal matter in the Chesapeake area
Our all-inclusive approach helps you understand the critical issues in criminal cases, such as the difference between a felony and a misdemeanor charge. At the criminal law firm of Shannon & Bedois, P.C., our dedicated attorneys start your legal representation with a realistic assessment and provide honest advice about the potential risks you face in light of your charges.
Call our office today at (757) 228-5529 or send us a message online and we will respond to you within 24 hours.
Depending on the severity of the crime with which you were accused or charged, the fine and the time for possible incarceration will vary. For example, a theft misdemeanor can be escalated to theft with a deadly weapon, which is a Class 2 felony, simply because you were carrying a weapon at the time of the theft, even if you did not use it. The same applies to homicide offenses. Here is an outline of the punishments associated with each level of felony and misdemeanor charges and some examples of offenses:
- Class 1 felonies: These carry a maximum penalty of life imprisonment, death or a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 2 felonies: These are punishable by imprisonment, starting with a sentence of 20 years and going up to a life sentence, or a fine of no more than $100,000.
- Class 3 felonies: These may be punished by imprisonment between five and 20 years and a fine not to exceed $100,000.
- Class 4 felonies: These carry a possible punishment of imprisonment between two and 10 years and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 5 felonies: These are punishable by imprisonment, with a minimum sentence of one year and a maximum sentence of 10 years (or up to 12 months in a county jail), and a fine not to exceed $2,500.
- Class 6 felonies: These may be punished by imprisonment of between one and five years (or 12 months in a county jail) and a fine of up to $2,500.
- Class I misdemeanors: These are punishable by fines up to $2,500 and a 12-month jail sentence. Offenses include possession of marijuana, assault, petty larceny, reckless driving and many others.
- Class II misdemeanors: These carry a possible punishment of fines up to $1,000 and up to six-months in jail. Aggressive driving can be a Class II misdemeanor.
- Class III misdemeanors: The maximum punishment is a fine not to exceed $500.
- Class IV misdemeanors: The maximum fine and punishment is $200 for these offenses.
Trust our experienced criminal defense attorneys with your criminal case
Our felony and misdemeanor attorneys in Chesapeake, VA will begin protecting your rights today
Our Chesapeake office features convenient access to public transportation via I-64, and free parking is available. Shannon & Bedois, P.C. offers an initial consultation in criminal matters free of charge. Call our office today at (757) 228-5529 or send us a message online and we will respond to you within 24 hours.